Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hello to All

It is so great to get back to my blog and find some new faces. I have to make it brief because I am at an internet cafe a couple of hours and modes of transportation away from my homestay village. Today we went to a place called Boti Falls and took a short hike. This is the first chance we've had to relax a bit. We've been doing teaching practicums and learning the languages both of this area and the regions we will be going to. I am now learning EWE (pronounced ehvay) which is spoken in the Volta River region that I will be teaching in. The town is Mepe and it is on the lower Volta River and not too far from the sea. I am still in the process of trying to figure out a way to describe what life is like in Africa. For a westerner, it is truly inconceivable to imagine even after having seen a bit of it on television. I can use words to describe events but the surroundings in which they are taking place is so far beyond what the words call up. A challenge it is. When I get to my teaching site in mid-August, I hope to be able to set up my netbook which is in storage in Accra until then. I am currently in a small village called Asafo.
Hope you are all enjoying your respective summers.

Ciao a tutti,

Vi saluto da un internet cafe dove mi sono fermata dopo una gita a un posto che si chiama Boti Falls. Abbiamo fatto delle settimane di praticum insegnando e oggi abbiamo avuto questa gita. Sto anche imparando la lingua EWE (si dice Evei) perche' si parla nella regione della fiume Volta dove mi trovero' per i prossimi anni. Ci vado a meta' agosto. Per il resto, e' davvero difficile descrivere com'e' l'Africa e come mi trovo. Parole per gli eventi ne ho ma per noi nei paesi del'ovest le parole non evocono quello che si puo' immaginare. Spero eventualmente di poter dire di piu'. Per ora, direi che una sfida c'e' affrontando la vita qui in Africa e nella Ghana. Communque mi trovo abastanza bene con la mia famiglia ospite nel villagio di Asafo e anche col mio gruppo di 'obruni' (bianchi) americani Peace Corps.

Vi auguro tante belle cose durante l'estate

No comments:

Post a Comment